Deadline for applications for Spring 2018 scholarships was 4:30 p.m. Feb. 2. Scholarship awards will be announced soon.
Look for the announcement of next year’s application process in Fall 2018.
Subject to the availability of funds, SDCEA may award scholarships to assist worthy students in attaining higher education.
Up to 12 new scholarships may be awarded per year as follows:
- One four-year scholarship may be available to seniors graduating from high school. In order to retain the scholarship for the four years, the student must maintain at least a 3.0 grade point average while meeting the requirements of a full-time student (at least 12 hours). If the student’s grade point average falls below 3.0 at the end of any scholastic year, the student will forfeit the remainder of the scholarship.
- A scholarship committee will select winners of all but two of the remaining scholarships to be awarded annually. The winners of the remaining two scholarships shall be drawn at random from the pool of all applicants not otherwise selected to receive a scholarship.
- All scholarships may be used at any two- or four-year accredited university, college, or vocational/technical school. With the exception of the four-year scholarship described above, the scholarships may be used by students at any level of their post-high school education.
- Students may apply for all of the scholarships by completing a single application form, which is distributed to all area high school guidance counselors in October. Except for those scholarships drawn at random, applicants will be judged on grade point average, SAT/ACT test scores, activities, goals, and need. Scholarship applications must be received in the Buena Vista office by the deadline printed on the form, which is usually in early February.
- Applications can be delivered in person, by mail, or fax, or email (documents must be the scanned originals). To be eligible, the student must be a member or dependent of a member of SDCEA. For scholarship purposes only, the term member refers to a person, not a corporation or business. The winners are announced in April with certificates presented at graduation ceremonies.
Each year SDCEA’s wholesale power suppliers, Tri-State Generation and Transmission and Basin Electric Power Cooperative, may elect to offer scholarships to dependents of SDCEA members.
If you have questions about this program contact Tracy Linza, by email at email@example.com, or by calling (719) 395-4136 or toll-free 844-395-2412.