Thank you for your interest in the 2018 Youth Tour.
Deadline to apply for the tour was 4:30 p.m. Jan. 12, 2018.
An announcement will be made shortly about who will be awarded the chance to take trip this year.
Sangre de Cristo Electric Assn., Inc. plans to again accept applications for the 2019 Youth Tour this fall. Stay tuned for details on next year’s program. In the meantime, you are welcome to learn about the tour below.
Students can compete for the chance to participate in the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA) Rural Electric Youth Tour held every June in Washington, D.C.
The Washington D.C. Youth Tour is coordinated by NRECA each summer to bring together young adults from across the nation to give them an inside look at our national government, as well as the electric utility industry from the national level.
Electric cooperatives from across the country sponsor students from their respective service territories to attend this exciting event. SDCEA sponsors a student(s) to attend the NRECA Rural Electric Youth Tour each year. Items on the agenda include visits to Mount Vernon, Arlington National Cemetery, the Vietnam Memorial, other historic sites, attending a play at the Ford’s Theater, an energy contest between states, a dance, as well as a trip to Capitol Hill for a visit with Congressional representatives.
- Students applying for the trip are required to submit an application along with an essay on a topic selected each year regarding some aspect of the energy industry.
- The essay must be 300 – 500 words.
- Selection of the winner is based on information provided in the application and the essay content.
- Application packets for the NRECA Rural Electric Youth Tour are mailed to area high school counselors in early October with the deadline in December.
- The all-expenses paid trip is a wonderful opportunity for local students to see our nation’s capital.
- Application packets can be picked up at our office or downloaded from this page. The contest is open to all high school juniors whose parents or legal guardians are SDCEA members.
If you would like information about this program contact Chris McGinnis at (719) 395-4589 or toll-free at (844) 395-2412 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, and please put Youth Tour in the subject line.